PeaceBuilders Community gives glory to God for guiding both panels of the Government of the Philippines (GPH) and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) who brought the peace negotiations at this advanced level of conflict transformation and reconciliation processes.
The newly-signed 2012 Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro is a product of years of sacred efforts by many Bangsamoro men and women, nameless individuals, civil society organizations, government agencies, media groups, and various peoples’ movements who weaved their hearts and minds together to sustain this peace process.
This is a significant event in our peace journey as a multi-cultural society. We must celebrate! We must rejoice! We must give thanks to the Creator through our respective faith-expressions. We must continue to live and act with hope!
This is also a time to face a new beginning.
- The 2012 Framework Agreement gives birth to a new consciousness in the peace process between the GPH and the MILF. GPH now recognizes the Bangsamoro as a new political entity within the Republic of the Philippines. Our new outlook is that of mutual respect and partnership that are necessary in our journey together towards genuine justice and peace.
- The 2012 Framework Agreement gives birth to the primacy of the “rule of law” instead of the former “law of the ruler.” The Bangsamoro Basic Law will be formulated by the Bangsamoro which will be in accordance with the national and international standards of good governance.
- The 2012 Framework Agreement defines the powers of the national government and the powers of this new political entity. This new asymmetric definition of powers would minimize, if not eliminate, adversarial approaches in the interaction between the Bangsamoro and the Central Government.
- The 2012 Framework Agreement defines how the wealth of our land will be shared among our people with justice and equity.
- The 2012 Framework Agreement brings the question of territory and issues of land-based conflicts into a transparent and non-violent negotiating processes.
- The 2012 Framework Agreement outlines the basic rights of people within the new political entity, including the rights to express one’s faith or religion.
- The 2012 Framework Agreement provides a time and process of transition from the failed Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) towards a new political entity called Bangsamoro.
- The 2012 Framework Agreement identifies practical steps for communities affected by war to move from a state of conflict towards normalization, when individuals and families would experience security and safety in their homes and respective neighborhoods.
- We must read and understand the 2012 Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro. Download a copy.
- We must openly discuss and honestly debate on the advantages and the disadvantages of this Framework Agreement without resorting to violence.
- We must listen to both the GPH (http://opapp.gov.ph/) and the MILF (http://www.luwaran.com) to get direct information and to avoid being misled by the spoilers of peace.
- We must work together to prevent the spoilers of peace to sabotage this process. A number of corrupt politicians, individuals, and organizations involved in gun-running and other activities that perpetuate armed conflicts are threatened at this point. Some are claiming to be Muslims and some are claiming to be Christians. Some of them are still in political and economic positions of influence.